AgriScience Labs performs terpenoid profiling using Gas Chromatography (GC).
Terpenes provide the flavor, scent, and aroma of plants and work synergistically with the cannabinoids in marijuana.
ASL is currently providing testing for the following 22 terpenes:
- α-Bisbolol has a citric and floral aroma and is used in various fragrances, and its been used in cosmetics for hundreds of years due to its anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial properties.
- Camphene provides antioxidant effects, has shown promise for pain relief, and is found in essential oils extracted from certain trees.
- Δ-3-Carene is sweet, pine, cedar, woodsy, and pungent.
- β-Caryophyllene provides a woody, black-peppery taste, activates the CB2 receptors, and may also have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Carophyllene oxide smells like lemon balm, and it has been shown to be have anti-inflammatory, anti-nociceptive, neuroprotective, anxiolytic, antidepressant, anti-alcoholism effects.
- ρ-Cymene has musty orange aroma found in cumin and thyme.
- Eucalyptol smells like minty and camphor, is used in mouthwash, cough suppressants, and body powder, and it’s also a plant-based insecticide.
- Geraniol repels mosquitos, despite its floral, fruity aroma.
- Guaiol is both smoky and woody smelling.
- α-Humulene is common in hops, and research is showing it is an anti-inflammatory, displays anti-cancer properties, and seems to act as an appetite-suppressant.
- Isopulegol, with its mint flavor, is often used for a cooling effect, similar to menthol.
- Limonene has an orange, citrus smell and induces relaxation.
- Linalool, with its floral smell, may aid in sedation and extreme relaxation, and research is being done on possible anti-cancer effects, as well.
- β-Myrcene provides the clove-like, earthy scent in bay leaves and mangoes and is typically found in strains from tropical climates, namely sativas.
- Nerolidol 1 & 2 have floral, citrus scents and are found in neroli, ginger, jasmine, lavender, tea tree, and lemon grass and is currently under testing as a skin penetration enhancer for the transdermal delivery of therapeutic drugs.
- α- & β-Pinene both provides a pine odor, may increase energy and focus, and can function as a bronchodilator.
- Ocimene provides a pleasant odor, contributes to a plant’s defenses, and possess anti-fungal properties.
- α- & γ-Terpinene have sour citrus and sweet citrus aromas, respectively.
- Terpinolene has a smokey or woody odor, helps fight cancer, is a sedative, and it is both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.